Thursday, February 26, 2009

triathlon, traveling, and the Trek

So on Monday I ran a mile, biked a few miles, and then swam I dunno how many laps. I did all three events! I was so proud of myself, even if it was all in very small amounts. Then I took a brief vacation/trip to Alabama and my healthy diet went out the window. I still went running while I was gone, and I went rock climbing too, but I think that good change in diet was really doing a lot for me. One step forward and two steps back. Now it's time to get back to work.

I've come to realize that I have no friends here. I'm not really sad over it; it's just a simple fact. I think it's a good thing too, since now I have nothing attaching myself to this place other than my family. I'll be able to come and visit on holidays and I won't have to worry about trying to see a bunch of other people outside of my parents and relatives. Plus it just makes me more excited to finally head back to school in August since I've got more going for me out there than I do here.

I'm really enjoying this point in my life. I'm free to do pretty much whatever I want! I have no strings attached and nothing tying me down anywhere. I've decided to take advantage of that fact. I just took a short road trip to Alabama. I'm going to San Diego in March. I'm going to Utah in April. I'm planning to go to Seattle in May. I'm going to San Antonio in June and July, and on the way there or back I might swing by Louisiana or some other places to visit some old friends. Maybe I can slip in a trip to Virginia before I make it to Provo in August. I love to travel. And it can be expensive, but then again, if you know people and have connections in the right places it's really not bad at all. Now,foreign traveling might be a different story. I'd like to do that at some point too, but it might have to wait until I'm a bit more wrinkly and grayed. Although, if I can manage to do it while I'm young, of course I'll go for it!

And last weekend we had that Trek fireside. I had listened to the Nashville Tribute albums throughout my mission, and I just never figured this out until I went and saw them perform. Tim Gates, the lead vocals for the group used to be in our ward here! I saw him and almost didn't recognize him! My mom and dad immediately went and greeted him after the performance, and I walked up and then realized who he was. I couldn't believe it! Here, for the past two years or so I'd been listening to all these songs sung by him, and I didn't even know that I knew him! Weird. It was really fun to meet the band. They seem like a bunch of really nice guys, and extremely talented too. Now I'm a fan of Due West, their country music band. Their music is reminiscent of Rascal Flatts, and therefore I love it! Plus their songs are about being faithful to their wives instead of about beer, pretty women, dogs, or trucks. I really enjoy the change and I recommend their music to anyone who likes good country music. My dad even likes them, and that's saying something for him to break away from his oldies and enjoy modern day music!

4 comments:

  1. Remember when we used to sing along to Shania Twain...ha! Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really are going to be traveling a lot. Are you flying or driving? Have your parents gotten you a car yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! Have my parents gotten me a car yet... Nope. Not yet. Although, I'm not complaining because I appreciate the fact that my dad is looking for one for me (because I can't afford to buy one myself) and I've temporarily (though it might turn permanent) inherited my mom's Camry since I've been taking care of it.

    As for modes of traveling, I'll be doing both about evenly. The first few places I'll be flying, and then towards the end of the summer I'll be driving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember one of the strange things about coming home was that all my high school friends had either moved or we had nothing in common anymore. I hated my 10 year reunion! It was like everyone was trying to impress everyone and they ways they were trying weren't impressive to me.

    We bought the Trek CD in St George last July to help pass the time on the way to SLC. We were listening to it and I started reading the back and started yelling, "This is Tim! This is Tim!" It was fun to realize he had so many songs on the CD. It is great to see someone really nice do good.

    Are some of your travels doing EFY's or just visits? I think I remember you saying something about helping with EFY's this summer.

    ReplyDelete