Monday, September 13, 2010

Always last

I guess that's part of being the youngest child, no matter what my age is.

I'm always last... Last to date. Last to drive. Last to play sports. Last to graduate high school. Last to serve a mission. Last to get married. Last to finish college.

Last to have kids.

That's the one that's on my mind right now. Well, I've been contemplating it for quite some time now, honestly. This is just the first I've really decided to express it publicly. All of my friends and family are pregnant and having children. It's such a happy time and it's all so exciting! I love seeing lives starting and other lives progressing. I love playing with and spoiling my nephews and nieces and close friends' kids. And for a while now I've found myself wishing I had some of my own.

And it seems like over and over I'm told that I'm just baby crazy because everyone around me is having babies.

Is there something wrong with wanting to increase my womanhood to motherhood? Is there something wrong with me for wanting to nurture an infant and teach growing children about life, the gospel, and love? Is there something wrong with me for letting my maternal instinct out? Am I wrong for admitting that I'm no longer terrified of marriage and having a family?

Well I'll stand up for myself since only one other person has when I bring it up. No, there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of that.

So don't tell me I'm "just baby crazy" and that I'm being silly. Don't say "it'll pass," it's only a phase, and I'll be glad later when I don't have children burdening me down. Because for the first time in my entire life, I want kids. I've feared that I'd never want them, never wish for them, and then I'd have them just because of obligation and expectation. And I've always feared that I'd be a terrible mother because of it.

Don't persuade me not to have children yet. Do you think that helps? Why can't someone reassure me that having children is fantastic and fun and a wonderful part of life? Why do you only tell me about the grueling parts of it? Well life itself will always be grueling. I'm stuck with that no matter what. How much more 'preparation' do I need? A few more years? Just so I'm 'older' or 'more experienced' or so that I can enjoy time with my husband? Older won't let me have as many kids, and what other experience do I need so that I can have kids? Will I stop enjoying time with my husband all together if we have kids (even though I know there won't be nearly as much of it)?

Doesn't having children add another dimension to life? Sure, it brings it's own challenges with it, but since when has life been free of trials and difficulties anyway?

I guess I'm just frustrated with the lack of support I feel when I express the fact that I want to have kids, while everyone who is having children gets all this love and praise. When I'm pregnant will I ever get that or will I only hear others tell me it was a poor choice and a bad idea?

As excited as I am for Ben and Trina, Marissa and Brandon, Natalie and Brett, and so many others (which, I'm seriously beside myself with excitement for all of them), I'm also hurting in about that same amount. I just can't figure out what to do with it. I'm not jealous--not at all because those families all deserve to have those beautiful children and all the love and happiness life has to offer. With all my heart I hope for lots of laughter and unlimited smiles as those children grow.

I'm just not sure what to do with this.... other feeling. I'm suppose I'm sad, because I want that kind of love and support. Well, whether or not I ever have it, I'm still going to have children when it's time (and I do hope it's soon, to be honest). No one can persuade me differently, regardless of how difficult it might make everything. Just keep those degrading thoughts to yourself and stop adding to my struggles.

... ... ... ... ...

Okay.

Perhaps that was too much information, and maybe it made you feel awkward. But I needed it out of my head. And now that it's out, I can move on and stop letting it bother me.

8 comments:

  1. Of course it's not a bad thing to want kids. Every couple is different and so timing is different for them as well. And you will never be completely prepared. If you wait until then, you'll be waiting forever. If you feel baby hungry, start praying about it. Only you and Bob know when it's best for you. And we'll always love and support you. That love and support will only get bigger when your family gets bigger.

    And just between us, I'm baby hungry too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well ditto to what Lauren said. she said pretty much exactly what i was going to say. when it happens for you guys everyone will be just as happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having kids does change your life...forever. But, its like going from single to married. Your life is different and there are things you miss about being single, but you love being married so much more. Being a mother is the hardest thing I've ever done, but also the best. Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whew! sounds like someone stepped on you recently! so sorry you've been getting negativity about starting a family. such is the world around us. :( i'm glad you got that off your chest! :)
    having babies is the happiest time ever, i don't care what anyone says! they will frustrate you to no end but it's just because they are little pieces of you. :) nothing more rewarding in life. when you and bob know it's time, do it! sounds like we'll be hearing an announcement soon! babies really are so exciting no matter how many you have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and it gets even better when people tell you that you are too young even after you are pregnant. You want to say, wow, I wish you would've told me that a few months ago so I could've changed my life based on your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. J, ignore those that are giving you negative comments about being a mother. It used to make me so mad before I got married to see how many mothers just didn't really care about their children. I was the one watching their child all day and watching them grow. I knew the child better than them. I even had one parent tell me that no child was going to mess with her job progression that she worked so hard for.

    I can't tell you that motherhood is always great, but I will tell you that it is worth it. There is no other job that I really want to do. It can be hard at times but others are the greatest moment you can ever have. Their are moments you want to run away screaming and then those hugs that you get make up for it. There are times when you are so tired from having been up with a child in the middle of the night due to sickness or a bloody nose and sleep in and have to get those children up and moving so that they aren't late.

    You need to do what is best for you and Bob. Being a mother is the best thing that has ever happened to me. you will do a great job at it. When it is time it will happen. I want you to know that I love you and would never tell you knot to do it. That is what our nature to do is. To be a mother!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jae, I can't believe so many people would disreguard your desire to have a baby as being baby crazy because so many close to you have had a baby. I would worry about you if you said you didn't want to have a baby, you are right, it is the natural progression since you have been married a while. It's the next step, the way Heavenly Father wants you to feel. I think you will be a wonderful mommy. I hope you get this righteous desired filled soon.

    I can't say I know how you feel. I always wanted to be a mother, first and formost but I figure I got pregnant the second day I was married so I didn't have to wish for a baby. It must be a very empty feeling. I hope you will be able to welcome a sweet little one to your family very soon. Even though it seems like it would be better to wait until college is behind both you and Bob, Uncle Steve and I were both in college when Wendy was born and we survived quite well. Those were wonderful days, even though money was tight, love was abundant and life was good.

    Keep praying to know the Lord's will for you and serve others while you wait for His answer. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janae,
    I would ignore the negative that people are feeding you about having wonderful children of your own. We have been debating and talking about the same thing. I would LOVE to start having children but isn't the right time. Will there ever be a right time? Probably not. And not that this is my primary motive for wanting children, but I'm not getting younger. Why postpone the blessings and joys that motherhood bring? When we are obedient to our Father in Heaven, you know that we are blessed. Things can still be wonderful with a baby, it is all how you react and respond to the situation.
    I can COMPLETELY relate to your post though. It's nice to know someone else feels the same way that I do.
    When you know and feel it is the right time (whether it be now or later), I will be so excited for you and will support you guys completely! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete