Tuesday, May 12, 2009

search results yield unrelated points of interest

Yesterday I was going through some of my artwork and deciding what to put into my portfolio when I apply to the Industrial Design program at school. Bob shipped the art that was left in Utah to me here in Tennessee (which I'm super thankful for) and it should make it here tomorrow. Several of my art pieces aren't finished, mostly because I'm a perfectionist and I take forever making things look exactly how I want them. I don't want to put a bunch of half-finished pieces in my portfolio, so I'm hoping I can finish most of them before the end of June (since I'll have no time in July).

One is a sketch of a Renaissance (or maybe even Greek mythology style) statue, and I can't remember who originally made it or what the title of the piece is. So I've been looking around online for a few hours trying to find it, but with no luck.

I did, however, find some things that don't relate at all to what I'm currently trying to do. If you like random items of interest, read on.


. ___________________ .


1. Zero Carbon House Project

"We have built a zero carbon house on Britain’s most northerly island of Unst, which will bring obvious benefits to the environment. Our carbon neutral home lowers the carbon footprint by producing its own energy and storing it to heat the home. We also use this energy to fuel an electric vehicle for transportation. Food will be grown in hi-tech greenhouses using a hydroponic growing system.

We hope our zero carbon house will be a useful study vehicle for research, giving students the unique opportunity to view a real eco-house, meet the people who live there, and regularly access the energy usage data that will be updated daily online. We also hope that we make a small contribution to conserving the environment in which we live for future generations to enjoy."

http://www.zerocarbonhouse.com/Home.aspx


2. Bruce Lee was the master.


3. A bridge that ain't just a bridge.





Photography: © John Offenbach for stocklandmartel.com

The latest cultural adornment to a 2.1-million-square-foot mixed-use development in the Paddington region of West London is a pedestrian bridge that’s as much mobile sculpture as engineered structure. Spanning the mouth of a small dock off the Grand Union canal, the Rolling Bridge rests steady for foot traffic, but opens for boat navigation by curling upward and onto its one fixed support, like a scorpion’s tail. The 39.4-foot-long bridge, which has a steel frame and timber deck, was designed by Thomas Heatherwick Studio of London.

The structural metamorphosis from footpath to wheel has become a weekly spectacle for passersby since the bridge’s inauguration in September. The feat occurs more often when needed for navigation. “We think it’s fantastic,” says Mike Rayner, an official with Chelsfield, Paddington’s lead developer, which commissioned Heatherwick for the project.

Set among a number of Modern, understated buildings, the bridge was detailed “seriously and maturely” and is “almost boring” under normal use, says Stuart Wood, a project designer. “That heightens the element of surprise when it starts to do its action. There is a strong element of theater.”

. ___________________ .



In other news, I'm officially accepted to work EFY in San Antonio and Bowling Green, KY. I'm going to be a Stake Leader at Girls Camp in June. I'm working at the bead shop again for a month or so. I'm about to get to work painting a basic mural in some one's house. I've been debating whether or not I should attempt to build a window seat and then photograph that to put in my portfolio as well. The only problem is time. I never have enough of it.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I'm really wondering how a search for Renaissance art yielded those results! Intersting stuff though.

    ReplyDelete