Saturday, May 23, 2009

Another allergy to another delicious food...

I became allergic to bananas when I was 14, and then also to pineapple when I was 20. Both are fruits I really love to eat because they're SO delicious. I'm kind of eating bananas again, though I don't eat large portions of them and it's usually cooked in something like banana bread or banana brownies.

So tonight I ate dinner as usual, nothing to concern me about what food we were eating. I went to take care of some cats for this lady that's out of town for the weekend, and on the way I noticed a bump on my left ring finger that started itching. I thought it was a mosquito bite at first, which wouldn't be any surprise to me. Then I also noticed one on my foot and the back of my neck too.

I make my way home and as I'm going about doing things, I start noticing that I'm just itching all over. I reach over to scratch my shoulder and the skin felt kind of odd underneath my shirt. I went into the bathroom pulled my collar over so I could see my shoulder. Here's what it looked like:

Then I pulled my shirt up in the back to see this:

I've never had hives before, ever in my life, but I knew that's what they were immediately. I ran downstairs and my mom ground up some oatmeal for me and found me some nice itch-relief lotions. I took a 20 minute oatmeal bath and then stood there staring at all the little bumps and welts in the mirror, doing all I could not to scratch them. The back of my neck is just on fire and it feel like it's spreading up to the rest of my scalp. I have a nice welt just under my left eyebrow and several on my hands and feet and legs. The bulk of it is on my chest and back though. It's so irritating!! I just wanna scratch everything!

Luckily, according to the American Medical Book, they should disappear in a few hours. I sure hope they do.

And I've been trying to figure out what caused it:
Not the cats I'm taking care of, I itched before that.

So what else? It must be the food I ate for dinner. But everything I ate was perfectly normal and stuff I eat pretty often. Then I realized, I must have developed another allergy. Not the the salad, not to pork and beans but to watermelon. WATERMELON!! Why??!?!!?

Sooner or later I'm just gonna have to start carrying around a bottle of Benedryl just so I can eat at all.

Watermelon. Seriously??

5 comments:

  1. all i can think to say is...that sucks! you should go have one of those allergy tests done. or have you had one already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad, I love watermelon! That really stinks. You may just have to give up fruit. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad... Is there something you can take that will let you eat those things anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure it's not from the salad? Salad would be easy to give up! I'm so sorry for your loss...of watermelon! Man, what a bummer. What else have you been doing? when will we see you again??

    ReplyDelete
  5. janae! ouch! i am so excited to see that you have a blog. just another way to keep in touch! ;)

    ReplyDelete