Sunday, May 29, 2011

start-up capital

On Friday night I got really excited about starting my business. I began typing up all of my ideas into a business plan. I was going to wait until July, after I'm done with everything I'm doing for Jennifer's wedding, but I just couldn't help it.

I wrote down the service my business will offer, listed out all of the dessert items that will be included on the menu, the regularly used ingredients, kitchen utensils that will be needed, the jewelry and clothing -making items that will be needed, and the equipment I'll need to get started.

That night as I was laying in bed trying to sleep, ideas kept popping into my mind, so I wrote them down on a notepad I have on my nightstand. I finally dozed off, with my imagination running wild envisioning the store, the treats, the displays, the kitchen....

Saturday morning I woke up early to bring our card table to a friend's house so she and several others could borrow it for their yard sale. I should have joined in on it with all of our leftovers from our yard sales last year, but I just didn't have the energy.

While there, I noticed a couple of slat-board shelving units someone was selling. "Start-up capital!!" my brain yelled at me. One even had a signboard on top of it. I found out whose they were, went to an ATM, then went back and bought both of them for $20! Those things retail for way more than that. What a deal!


Then I searched and searched for the accessories that go on it, like the baskets and hooks and what-not. Lowes and Home Depot don't carry anything for them. Staples has it on their website, but not in the store. I finally broadened m search and found a couple of stores in SLC that carry that stuff. All but one were closed on Saturdays. Well, that made it easy. So I took a trip up there.

The store is called Modern Display. Oh, my goodness--it's a good thing I don't live closer to it or else I'd spend all of my money in there! The downstairs level is full of gorgeous furnishings and decor, as well as holiday decorations, things like faux flowers, stunning candlesticks, vases, mirrors, wall clocks, etc. It's like an upscale section of Hobby Lobby. Then the upstairs level has all of the store and business display merchandise, including jewelry display items, signs, fitting room mirrors, mannequins--seriously almost anything you need for a store. I went right to the clearance corner and found all of the hooks I needed and a small shelf. I spent a whopping $6 on it all! That's way better than the prices I was finding online.

I got home and spray painted the hooks and shelf so they'd all match (they were different colors and I wanted them the same) with the paint I used on my succulent plant container. Then I rearranged my living room/office area so that my new/used slat board unit would fit better in the front window with my dressmaking model. 



I love it. 
Of course, it's more that we'll have to pack when we eventually move. 
But it's startup capital for my store.

There. Justified. 
:)

1 comment:

  1. Janae! Man, I wish you weren't waiting until you move to open your store. I would love to help you (somehow) with it. You are going to rock at it! I'm probably going to end up in California at some point in my career, and when I am I'm really looking forward to seeing your store in reality that you've been dreaming of for so long. Seriously. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete