Monday, March 14, 2011

Well that was fast.

About three weeks into working at the brand new store, I felt like I was getting the hang of things pretty well. Most of the other employees would even come to me with questions about various work-related needs and techniques. It made me feel pretty good, because 1) I love helping and teaching others, and 2) it means others can tell that I am skilled and knowledgeable, which just feels great.

On my way out of the store one day after a full morning of work, my boss chatted with me briefly and practically in passing mentioned that she wants to make me assistant manager. Sweeeeeet!! I think some of my co-workers were expecting it. I'll admit I was hopeful, but I wasn't sure if she'd really need one since she and her husband both work at the store pretty frequently. And it's not that I'm aspiring, but I would like to learn various responsibilities of managing the store so that I can use what I learn for opening my own small business in the future. I told that to my boss back in my interview when I turned in my employment application, and I think it's stuck with her and is a big part of why she hired me. She even brings it up from time to time, recognizing that this isn't just some job for me while I'm between other modes of employ. I want to learn how to run a successful small and specialized store so that I can do just that one day. The things I'm learning at work I'm taking to heart and storing away for future reference. I'm not just another girl who wants to work with great people in a fun atmosphere. I don't just want a discount on what we sell. I'm definitely not in it just for the money, because the pay may be decent but I'm definitely not going to get rich off my paychecks. I want to learn everything I can for future purposes.

So being assistant manager is pretty exciting for me to say the least.

At the same time, I'm kind of nervous and worried that I'll start making mistakes or mess up more frequently, because I do that when I'm under pressure. I just hope I can maintain my confidence and excitement about it and not give in to whatever insecurities and self-doubt and low self-esteem issues I might have. I'm strong and independent, not weak and completely reliant on others.... right?

For now, I'm thrilled about it. I just hope it sticks.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats! Doesn't it feel great when someone else notices your good work! You'll do great. Even when we were young(er), you were confident and creative. Its fun that you found a job you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck yes, you are awesome girl! I know that sometimes you can get so excited about something only to freak out about it the next day, but I also know that the freak out normally comes from that little voice in your head that everyone hates but can't get to shut up. This is such a good thing Janae, don't let anyone (even yourself) tell you otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! yes, you are strong!! you'll do great, keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got this girl! ;) I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I already said it, but YAY!

    ReplyDelete